Record of Meeting/Discussion

Meeting:-

Cycle Infrastructure meeting

Date:- 20/06/08

 

Location:-

Heantun House

   

Present:-

Attended by Chris Barker, Steven Callow, David Holman and Dave Clare

Sheet 1 of 3

Recorded by:

SC

Distribution:

Circulation: SC, CB, JF, RB Cycle Infrastructure meeting attendees

 

Item

Subject

Action

 

1

CB showed the cycle parking list this includes Bilston, Wednesfield, Tettenhall, Sedgemore Park shops, Bradley nr Coop, Dovedale Road shops - two locations, Penn Road, Bradmore, Whitmore Reans Avion Centre, Claregate, Pendeford, Three Tuns, Showell Circus, Blackhalve Lane shops - two locations, Griffiths Drive shops, Windermere Road shops, Penn Road shops - Several locations, Warstones, Compton, Dudley Road – several locations, Chapel Ash, Hospital - with agreement of hospital. Further investigations are now being undertaken.

SC

 

2

CB commented that people are parking outside Leisure Lakes however people are still locking their bikes to guard railing.

n/a

 

4

DH commented that the Garrick Street Sheffield stands are in a poor location. It was agreed to look at re sitting these hoops, but possibly after the Summer Row development

CB

 

5

CB explained the Chester Street closure at the Evans Street end and that it was a request from the police because of anti-social behaviour. It has been agreed to allow cycles through this road closure. DH requested WCC considered a dropped kerb at Bargate Drive, whilst doing work in Chester Street.

SC

 

7

CB showed the plans for cycle infrastructure improvements Church Road/Lymer Road (Contra-flow cycle route), Penn Road Island and Green Park Avenue/Laburnum Road. CB also mentioned we are looking at opening up All Saints Road. JF (John Fairchild) to investigate.

SC

 

9

DC and DH mentioned the need for improved pedestrian and cyclist facilities accessing quiet roads between Penn Road and St. Johns retail park.  JF to investigate

JF

 

10

A sample of the type of anti slip surfacing which could be used at the Wildside ramp was shown. CB asked if we asked cyclists to dismount, would they be happy with this, DH and DC said although they think it would be reasonable some cyclists wouldn't be happy with this proposal.  It is also possible to slow cyclists with barriers at either end of the ramp.

SC

 

11

CB showed plans for the proposed Caledonia Road Area traffic calming scheme and this was well received

CB

 

12

CB explained that discussions with Walsall District Council regarding opening up the Fibbersley cycle track were still on going.

SC

 

13

CB showed a plan of proposals for Gt Bricklin Street and Oak Street, DC suggested further improvements for this plan.

CB

 

14

SC reported that JF is arranging a meeting with British Waterways.  Ric Bravery / John Harris, are also meeting with British Waterways to try and push for cycle improvement along the cycle tracks.  It was suggested Dave Wilson joins with JF for the second meeting.

RB/JF

 

15

CB showed DC and DH the results from the cycle counter in Tettenhall Road and Evans Street.  SC to look into providing a breakdown of the times, rather than just per day.  DC noticed from the results that there are fewer cyclists on Tettenhall Road on the Bank Holiday

SC

 

17

CB explained another 2,000 Bike Maps have been printed and were hoping for a second edition by the end of the summer

CB

 

18

CB showed the Local Safety Scheme funded by ABCD for Upper and Lower Villiers Street.  CB also explained that there was not enough road width to create a cycle by-pass over the cushions.

CB

 

20

CB explained that we are trialling 'thumps' in Copthorne Road, this follows a recent petition for traffic calming and a 20 mph zone.  The thumps will be 39-50mm high and cover the width of the road with a channel and are cheaper than methods we currently use.

CB

 

21

CB showed the Merridale Road LSS, which includes narrowing to both zebra crossings.  This was well received.

CB

 

22

CB explained the Waterloo Road LSS - we are proposing to install a toucan crossing with a pedestrian/cycle link near Molineux Alley.

CB

 

23

CB explained that the proposed ramps on (Waterloo Road within the ring road) will be 1:20 gradient.

n/a

 

25

CB explained that we are looking into a long term strategy for cycle routes, and linking all routes in the city.  JF currently working on this, a plan was supplied to DH.

CB

 

26

CB explained that with Bantock Park there is a new cabinet leader for Leisure, there is going to be a meeting with him and John Pugh to try and get a precedent for cycling in parks.  DH and DC thought it would be a good idea to use the cycle counter to monitor the numbers cycling through the park

CB/SC

 

28

DC ask about cycle parking signs at the new the cycle parking locations in the city centre.  SC said this would be chased.

SC to liaise with IT

 

29

DH asked if we knew the access arrangements for the new Good Year Estate.  CB to find out for the next meeting

CB

 

30

The A41 tramway issue - there is an issue for turning right into side streets, JF to arrange a meeting with DH to discuss.

JF

 

31

DC asked about signing for cyclists in bus lanes, to raise general awareness for other road users.  CB to investigate

CB

 

32

DH asked for the layout for the Springfield Brewery site, as it could make a good route to go via this new estate (Toucan) Lock Street, Cannock Road and enter park.  RB to provide.

RB

 

33

DH asked about people cycling through the plug at Second Avenue.  CB explained there was a proposed scheme there but every shopkeeper signed a petition.  DH said it might be a good idea for a dropped kerb to be put in while the contractors are working in the area.

CB

 

 

Date of next meetings: Friday 12th September

Friday 12th December

 

Wednesday 16th May, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Social May 2018 - The Vine
Thursday 19th April, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum April 2018
Monday 23rd April - All Day
City Centre Bus Operations
Thursday 19th April, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum April 2018
Monday 23rd April - All Day
City Centre Bus Operations
Wednesday 16th May, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Social May 2018 - The Vine
Friday 1st June, 17:00 PM
Cycling + Walking Investment Strategy safety review
Wednesday 13th June, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Social June 2018 - Lych Gate
Thursday 21st June - All Day
Clean Air Day 2018
Tuesday 17th July, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum July 2018
Wednesday 15th August - All Day
Cycle to Work Day
Thursday 18th October, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum October 2018
Tuesday 15th January, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum January 2019
wow logo