Record of Meeting/Discussion

 

 

Meeting:-

Cycle Forum Minutes

Date:-

04/07/07

 

Location:-

Aldersley Leisure Village

File Ref:-

RTRSCHCF040707

 

Present:-

J Partridge, P Rollings, D Holman, D Wilson, M Asbury, P Barricks, G Owen, B Holt, D Clare, Councillor Cromie, R Welch, M Page, R Gee, P Froggart, D Nicholson.

Apologies:- R Barrister, D Orton, D McKenzie, Alastair Hopkins.

Sheet

1 of 4

Recorded by:

M Page

Distribution:

Members of the Cycle Forum

 

Item

Subject

Action

 

1

Minutes / Matters Arising

 

Dave Clare attended the meeting on 18/04/07

Mike Blackshaw and Rob Marris names to be corrected.

P Rollings to provide a copy of presentation to D Holman and it is yet to be put on the WCC website.

 

Previous Minutes Agreed.

 

 

     

 

2

Interchange Presentation

 

R Gee from Neptune Developments and P Froggart from JMP gave a presentation to the forum on the proposed Wolverhampton Interchange.

The presentation forms part of a consultation exercise in advance of a planning application for submission Oct 2007.

There will be a number of applications made, the 1st will be for the redevelopment of the bus station and link to the railway.

Some of the current designs are conceptual and plans will be made available following a press release in August 2007.

The groups views on quantity, quality and location of cycle facilities in the short and long term were invited:

- Access to the canal in the area should be improved

- The issue of cycles on trains will have a significant impact

- Can ped access from Wednesfield side be improved?

- Are the Police being consulted regarding personal safety?

In response:

Virgin Trains, West Midlands Police and British Waterways are involved in the Steering Group and these issues will be borne in mind.

The Cycle Forum will be formally consulted on any applications and they will return to present to the group when they have produced a more detailed scheme for comments. A specific meeting is to be arranged with members of Wolves on Wheels to discuss cycle options for the scheme.

 

 

     

 

3

Cycle Map Update

 

 

     

 

 

Cycle Map was launched during Bike Week 2007. There was a publicity stand in the Mander Centre with balloons, maps and free gifts. The official launch took place on Sat 23 June at Aldersley Leisure Village where the Regional Track Championships were taking place. Cllr’s Cromie and Bilson attended for a press call, publicity stand and again there was free gifts.

15,000 copies of the map have gone to a distribution company.

During Bike Week, 1,250 copies were given out at the stands.

Map data has now been received by WCC’s GIS team from Pindar. This is now being put together for the development of the new map internet site. This will also have a publicity launch when it is ready.

WCC are aware of some errors on the map and would be grateful to have any others pointed out. The map will be updated on the online facility.

John Partridge and Cllr Cromie extended their gratitude for all the hard work to produce the map.

Jenni Crayford to be consulted regarding promotion of the Cycle Map at the ToB event.

 

 

     

 

4

Tour of Britain – Barbara Holt

 

 

     

 

 

Wolverhampton is hosting the finish of Stage 3 of the ToB, this is the toughest leg and it starts at Worcester Race Course. The finish in Wolverhampton will be on the ring road between 2 and 3pm.

WCC are trying to think of events and activities to attract people to the finishing line as there will be TV coverage of the event.

 

 

 

Wolverhampton Wheelers, Let us Cycle, the Elizabethan Club, CTC and Sustrans should be invited to the ToB event. Pete Rollings to provide contact details to Barbara. A marching band has been suggested, David Wilson to provide contacts.

David Holman to provide contact details for Bike shops in Claverley and Coalport.

 

 

 

On the August Bank Holiday weekend there will be a ‘ride the routeÂ’ event that has been organised by Worcester. This date has not been confirmed and the group suggested that 9th Sept may be more appropriate. Any volunteers to help with meeting and greeting at the event please contact Barbara Holt. Cllr Cromie has volunteered.

 

 

 

If anyone has any further suggestions then please contact Barbara Holt on 01902 555466 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.before 25th July 2007.

Flyers and Posters are available from Barbara for Forum members to distribute wherever possible.

 

 

 

Hugh Porter has offered to go through the race route with the Express and Star, prior to the race, for publicity.

 

 

     

 

5

News Desk

 

 

     

 

 

Cycle Training & Promotion

 

 

     

 

 

A small Steering Group and Working Group is being established to work on cycling for minority groups. A promotional leaflet is being developed and any ideas and thoughts are welcome, please contact Marcus Asbury on 01902 556223

Barbara Holt has suggested that a ‘Cycle Conference’ after the ToB would be a good way to maintain momentum on cycling promotion.

The Cycling Demonstration Towns are going well, Wolverhampton could potentially consider this for the future.

 

 

     

 

 

Bike Week

 

 

     

 

 

WOW had a well attended organised ride.

A Ladies cycling session was launched.

The new Cycle Map has been launched.

Numerous events have been held around Wolverhampton.

 

 

     

 

6

Wolves on Wheels

 

 

     

 

 

Difficulties with following Cycle Map over boundaries. Can co-operation between areas be promoted. David Holman to provide details of difficulties to John Partridge.

WOW would like to know if there are any proposed improvements to bikes on rail to follow the change over of the rail franchise.

 

 

     

 

7

Any Other Business

 

 

     

 

 

- The Infrastructure Sub Group is to be arranged by John Partridge. Most people are available 10th July.

John Fairchild from Scott Wilson is to be introduced as he will be involved with cycling infrastructure design.

- A Cycle Hire and Training Centre is being proposed for the Youth Club building at Aldersley, it has a viable case for securing external funding.

- Cllr Cromie suggested that we consider offering students the use of recycled bikes.

 

 

     

 

8

Next Meeting

 

 

     

 

 

14th November 2007.

 

 

               

 
Wednesday 10th January, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Meeting Jan 2018
Tuesday 16th January, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum January 2018
Saturday 10th March, 12:00 PM - 14:00 PM
Network West Midlands - Your Public Transport Matters
Wednesday 10th January, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Meeting Jan 2018
Tuesday 16th January, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum January 2018
Wednesday 14th February, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
WoW Meeting Feb 2018
Saturday 10th March, 12:00 PM - 14:00 PM
Network West Midlands - Your Public Transport Matters
Thursday 19th April, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum April 2018
Tuesday 17th July, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum July 2018
Thursday 18th October, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum October 2018
Tuesday 15th January, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum January 2019
wow logo