WoWcc REGULAR CAMPAIGN MEETING

The Combermere Arms, 90 Chapel Ash
Wolverhampton WV3 0TY

Wednesday 2nd April 2014 6.30 pm

 


 

MINUTES

1. Agreement of Chair for meeting
The meeting was chaired by Chris Terrell.

2. Attendance and Apologies for Absence
Present: Chris Terrell (chair) (CT), David Wilson (minutes) (DW), Steve Young (SY), Julia Brant (JB), Mike Hughes (MH).
Apologies: received from Rob Marris, Steve Spencer, Jon Rice, Mike Jenkins .


3. Minutes of last meeting (8 January 2014):
Accuracy: Agreed a true record.
Matters arising:
Para 3 Contact with WREN: Mike Jenkins had sent a letter to George Reiss and received a reply (See Para 10 below).

4. Notification of Any Other Business
Several items were notified which are found below (Para 11).

5. WOW response to city centre proposals
The WCC Cabinet Resources Panel had reduced the scope of the proposals from the previous £5m to £1.6m, including £0.6m funding from DfT for the train station. The scheme is now titled “City Centre Transport and Movement Projects”. Items in the scheme which are known to be going ahead are Queen Street and Princess Street.

6. WOW Strategic Document for Wolverhampton
There had been no further response from WCC since the correspondence with Lydia Barnstable after the Enterprise & Business Scrutiny Panel on January. There had also been no further response from Sustrans on questions regarding NCN81.

7. Reports:

Cycle Forum
No minutes had been received from the last Forum in January 2014. WOW intends to raise this at the next Forum (Thursday 10th April) and may be in a position to offer help in Forum communications.

Ranger group
A group meeting had been held on 5th March 2014 at the Lych Gate. Two new volunteer rangers were welcomed. SY had re-formatted the signing documents for NCN81 (cross city route) combining text and images for each sign. In Coseley, Sustrans had designed a new route for NCN81 avoiding the canal tunnel, including more off-road sections. There were also to be towpath improvements west of Coseley.

Treasurer
DW reported from Steve Spencer that there had been a total of £37 credits, no debits and a new balance of £497.38.

Membership
DW reported that there had been no new members since the last meeting. He had collected all but two of the due 2014 subscriptions.

Website and publicity
A new e-mail list had been set up for any interested parties (members or not), under the title “Sign up as Subscriber”. SY was also planning to produce a monthly update by e-mail. There were now 470 followers on Twitter. Hits on the website in March had numbered 12,941.

8. Correspondence
None recorded.

9. Wednesfield Road issues

It was agreed that WOW will endorse CT’s document describing road safety issues on Wednesfield Road, currently under discussion with WCC (Chris Barker). The letter of endorsement drafted by Mike Jenkins was approved. The Campaign’s response will stress the need to meet council officers on site with bicycles and ride the sections under discussion.
Action: CT will discuss dates for a site meeting and keep members informed.

  1. Tettenhall area issues

DW reported from Mike Jenkins that George Reiss (WREN) in his reply had asked WOW to promote the “Our Place Our Plan” initiative, especially running up to a community referendum on 17th July.
Actions: SY will promote the Plan on the Website and using Twitter. DW will send a copy to SY.

11. Any other Business

A. Bike Week / Police event. Officers from the Police in Heath Town had proposed an event involving WOW and the cycling community, possibly in Bike Week (14-22 June). Nothing more had been heard. If there is an event, and WOW has displays on site, these should be further promoted on the WOW website and Twitter.
Action: JB to contact Police and arrange a meeting if appropriate.

B. Bilston Urban Village. See www.bilstonurbanvillage.co.uk. SY had requested that the Cycle Forum invite a representative to speak. In particular, it was noted that the bridge across the Black Country Route was no longer being described as shared use for pedestrians/cyclists. SY would post an article on the WOW website.

C. Stricter liability. See www.stricterliabilityforus.org.uk. It was agreed that WOW should support the principles expressed in this initiative. SY would send support to their website.

D. Space for Cycling. See www.space4cycling.org. This initiative was started up in London but now intends to spread nationwide. It was agreed that WOW should support this.

E. Local Council Elections in May. Each candidate should be asked to answer 3 questions. Their replies should be kept to a suggested 100 words, plus a photograph, for each question. SY would email WOW members requesting ideas (by end of April) for the questions to be asked.

F. CT had found that reporting potholes and also rubbish dumped on towpaths to WCC on Twitter had produced quick responses.

G. SY intends to hold a social gathering for Sustrans rangers and the wider WOW membership, in Mid-May. Details to be arranged.


12. Next regular meeting

Wednesday 9th July 2014 (venue to be decided). The next Cycle Forum is scheduled for Thursday 17th July.

 


AGENDA

1. Agreement of Chair for meeting

2. Attendance and Apologies for Absence

3. Minutes of last meeting: Accuracy and Matters Arising

4. Notification of Any Other Business

5. WOW response to city centre proposals
New developments if any

6. WOW Strategic Document for Wolverhampton
New developments if any

7. Reports:
Cycle Forum
Ranger group
Treasurer
Membership
Website and publicity

8. Correspondence

9. Wednesfield Road issues
WOW endorsement of safety report

  1. Tettenhall area issues

New developments if any

11. Any other Business

12. Next regular meeting


 

Download Minutes DOC

Thursday 23rd April, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum April 2020
Friday 28th February - All Day
Wolverhampton Council Climate Emergency Consultation
Friday 28th February - All Day
Wolverhampton Council Climate Emergency Consultation
Saturday 29th February, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Bike Repairs
Wednesday 4th March, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
Bike Maintenance Course
Wednesday 11th March, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
Bike Maintenance Course
Wednesday 18th March, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
Bike Maintenance Course
Wednesday 25th March, 19:00 PM - 21:00 PM
Bike Maintenance Course
Thursday 23rd April, 18:00 PM - 20:00 PM
Wolverhampton Cycle Forum April 2020
wow logo