Wolverhampton Cycle Forum
Thursday 14 January 2016, 6pm
Committee Room 1, Members’ Suite, Third Floor
Civic Centre, St Peter’s Square, Wolverhampton

Access to Civic Centre via entrance nearest Ring Road

 

Draft Agenda


1. Apologies

2. Minutes of the last meeting (15 December 2015)

3. Matters Arising not covered elsewhere in agenda

4. Infrastructure

a. City centre works
b. Springfield Campus scheme
c. Compton Park scheme
d. Managing Short Trips schemes in development

5. Active Travel Strategy - update

6. LSTF activities

7. Cyclist Training

8. Wolves on Wheels

9. Sustrans

10. Canals & Rivers Trust

11. Any Other Business

 



Wolverhampton Cycle Forum

Meeting Notes

Thursday 14 January 2016

Committee Room 1, Members’ Suite, Third Floor
Civic Centre, St Peter’s Square, Wolverhampton

Present: Cllr. Martin Waite (chair), Win Sutton, John Ray, David Wilson, Mike Jenkins, Dave Clare, San Worrall, Tim Philpot


1. Apologies David Holman, Steve Young, Julia Brant, Chris Terrell, John Rice

2. Notes of the last meeting (15 October 2015)

Draft notes were circulated and agreed as accurate.

3. Matters arising from last meeting not covered elsewhere in agenda

Bee Lane cycle route - JR expressed concerns about the time taken to resolve outstanding matters. He still had concerns about the suitability of the route. It was noted that at the previous meeting CT indicated WOW would review the project.
Wednesfield Road Bus Gate – Following commencement of camera enforcement a sign has been installed indicating cyclists may not use the bus gate. This is not in keeping with the regulation order in place and will be corrected
Princess St – It was noted previously that there was no definitive signage in place on the northbound side of Princess Street entering the new pedestrian area. Signage had now been corrected to permit cycling in both directions. Also a mobile flower array considered to be obstructing visibility had been removed and was to be replaced by a street tree
DC asked if a summary of bus-lane cycling permissions was available. TP agreed to circulate
It was noted a request had been made previously at the Forum for information as to the success of the speed reduction scheme in Finchfield. TP apologised for overlooking this and agreed to report back
A copy of a leaflet recently produced by Bushbury Police and PACT Group was circulated. JR explained this was designed as a polite way of addressing footpath cyclists. Cyclists had been engaged using this leaflet and it had received a positive response. Some people were apparently not aware cycling on the pavement was not permitted. . Wording was lifted from the Highway Code. The group received the leaflet positively and suggested possible improvements as more images or larger print. TP agreed to collate any suggestions and forward to PACT.

4. Infrastructure

a. City Centre works
It was noted the Princess Street/Market Street/Garrick Street contraflow route is nearly finished. A design was circulated to the Forum before Christmas for a linked route along St George’s Parade; this was now in construction, aimed to be complete by the end of March 2016.

Designs for Ring Road St Johns/St Georges/St Patricks shared use pavements had also been circulated and schemes were in the pipeline for 2016. Narrow refuges were noted as a problem at road crossings. It was also noted that the shared use pavement on Penn Road to Lea Rd had not got markings to accompany the signage.

The NCN81 signage improvement through the City Centre is in hand

b. Springfield Campus scheme
A design was circulated before Christmas for improvements to the route from the Transport Interchange and City Centre to the new University Campus on the site of the Springfield Brewery. This includes pedestrian areas and segregated cycling and walking routes. The aim was to make the improvements in time for the opening of the University Technical College in November 2016

c. Compton Park scheme
This opportunity to create a dedicated cycle/pedestrian route arose from an agreement to upgrade and adopt Compton Park (the road). Funding for the cycle/pedestrian element was secured through a bid to the Black Country Consortium.

d. Managing Short Trips schemes in progress
Birmingham Mainline Canal Towpath surface upgrade from Aldersley Junction to Dixon Street is about to begin. Other parts of this towpath in the Black Country are also about to be improved.
Moseley Park scheme - a network of paths connecting Moseley Park School to the surrounding community is under development.
i54-Science Park Route – This route is also in development

5. Active Travel Strategy - update

The ATS text has been approved by Cabinet. A more polished version is to be produced for publication. Cabiniet requested a map to be produced showing existing and proposed cycle routes.

6. “Beat the Street” Initiative

Wolverhampton is about to take part in “Beat the Street”, a game designed to promote active travel. Around 200 “Beat Boxes” will be installed on lamp columns for a period of 6 weeks from mid-February to early April. The game involves swiping a card at Beat Boxes to collect points for distance travelled. The main focus of the game is on schools but everyone can take part and people are encouraged to join teams. Prizes can be won for high-scoring teams.

“Beat the Street” has been run in numerous other towns/cities notably Reading, where significant sustained modal shift was noted.

7. Cyclist Training

A report on school cycle training numbers from Paul Lever was circulated with the papers for the meeting

8. Wolves on Wheels

Chris Terrell, chair of WOW is indisposed after having his appendix removed. The meeting wished him well. It has been a quiet quarter for WOW. The business meeting was postponed. BikeRight made an offer of maintenance sessions for groups. Need group of 6 participants. A special meeting was held at Merridale Fire Station. Some sessions still done at Bradmore rec.by BikeShed.

9. Sustrans

Volunteer co-ordinator in Birmingham Lisa Hartley has left post. Her replacement is to be appointed. A full cross city route assessment has been completed – to be forwarded to TP.

10. Canals & Rivers Trust

Strong focus currently on improvement to towpaths

11. Any Other Business

The question of varying the night for Forum meetings was raised. TP agreed to make appropriate arrangements.

Arrangements have been put in place to bolted down the cycle rack outside the Members’ entrance to the Civic Centre

A two tier bike rack installed at New Cross Hospital doesn’t take bikes with wide tyres. On the plus side it is better-located. A new laboratory has cycle cage integral to it.

The absence of cycle storage on the front of the new Sainsbury store was noted

Civic centre car park to be closed in March for 3 months. Interim arrangements will be made for cyclists

 

wow logo