Ideal Conditions for Cycling in Wolverhampton
- 12th largest city in England outside of London - Population 251,000.
- Vibrant City Centre within ring-road, 10 main arterial A roads radiating from centre.
- Majority of borough within 4 miles of City Centre or 20min ride (26 sq miles [6945ha]).
- Topography is relatively flat on the edge of the West Midlands plateau.
- Famous for its great racing cyclists like Percy Stallard, Hugh Porter and Andy Tennant.
The City once had 22 cycle manufacturers including Sunbeam and Viking.
For more on all these makers see the Wolverhampton History & Heritage Society online cycle museum.
Wolverhampton is a City of great character with over a thousand years of recorded history.
Although evidence suggests that an early settlement existed as far back as 1200 BC it was during the Saxon era that the town was recorded as a community.
For Wolverhampton's rich history visit Wolverhampton Archives & Local Studies.